Monday, February 18, 2008

   The longer I am away from the United States, the longer I realize there's some things I don't understand the things that our nation and God's bride, the church does and supports.

   For the life of me, I don't understand how we went into a nation to rid this nation of a dictator that was killing his own people.  Yet why don't we don't go into countries like Sudan, Chad and Kenya to help bring peace to those countries and let diplomacy rule in those countries?  I know that probably the ultimate answer to that statement is that there's no benefit for us, but why should we base what country we help on what we get out of it?  Why do we as the United States do anything solely based on what we can gain from it?

  One of the things that troubles me about the church I've experienced back home is that we seem to be partial about sharing the gospel with certain people.  We pick and choose who should come to know Christ, when Christ came so that all might live.  I remember we would go to a certain neighborhood in my town and share the gospel in the low cost residential areas in our neighborhood once a week.  While that is good to do, why isn't there someone doing that throughout the year?  What are we afraid of?

  Another thing with the church is the thing we stand against.  We try to boycott movies and controversial books.  Maybe we need to read these books and watch these movies and put them in relation to God's word and what the bible says.  Don't you think avoiding things like this further puts us out of touch with the world around us and keeps us from being missional like we are suppose to be?  I'm so tired of boycotting stupid things like movies and books.  I would rather boycott industries that support sweat shops in third world countries or buy fair trade coffee than do something that does nothing but separate me from the world and puts me out of touch with those around me.  

No comments: